Monday, May 2, 2016

Youth Sunday School: Easter Lesson and Book of Mormon

How can the Book of Mormon help me strengthen my faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ?
I'll be honest I was a little overwhelmed that my teaching day landed on Easter Sunday.  I have so many thoughts and ideas regarding this special week and our Savior, Jesus Christ and I wanted to make sure the youth in my class felt it too and got something out of this lesson.  Later that day I actually found out I planned the wrong lesson for that week and it really could have been solely on Easter lesson.  Whoops!  BUT it went fabulously and the Book of Mormon was a great topic to go along with Easter Sunday.


I began with a personal story of when I was at work and someone asked me about the Book of Mormon, what it was about and what it meant to me.  He was not a member of the church so he was asking out of genuine curiosity.  I told the class how I responded and asked them what they would say if that happened to them.  Would you know what to say, would you be prepared, how would you respond?

We then watched the short video called Book of Mormon Introduction.  After we talked about how the Book of Mormon is a record of God's dealings with the inhabitants of ancient America.  And how we can find the main purposes of the whole book on the Title Page and the Introduction.  We then read parts of each.

Here are some questions I asked the class through out the lesson:

-Why would another testament of Jesus Christ be so important for our day? Why would the Lord bring forth another witness to strengthen the powerful declarations of the Bible?

-Why do you think stories of so many individuals and families are included in this book both good and bad?

-Why do you think it is necessary to have faith in Jesus Christ?

-How has studying the scriptures, specifically the Book of Mormon, helped you in your life?

Other specific topics we discussed:

-Believers and Nonbelievers in the Book of Mormon,
we also get to choose if we want to follow Christ

-President Benson's 3 great reasons why we should make the study of the Book of Mormon a lifetime pursuit.  1.  Keystone of our religion  2.  Written for our day  3.  Helps us draw nearer to God

-Scripture Power (Primary song) and how the scriptures can give us power in our every day life

We read many quotes and scriptures regarding Christ and the Book of Mormon.  I was in a Relief Society lesson once and the teacher had ALL the quotes on a sheet of paper for each person to help participate and keep after the lesson.  I loved it, so I did the same thing! 
I'll attach it at the bottom of this post.

You know me I ALWAYS need a hand out.  I have had people ask why go into so much work but when you see the people in your class, or even just one persons eyes light up I hope they know how much I care about them individually.  And besides its really fun to do! So the handout for this lesson was a little Book of Mormon of course!  This was one of the easiest handouts I've done!  Pick up some Orbit gum and wrap them with the print out below!  I used double stick tape and it worked like a charm.


I also wanted to give them a picture of Christ that related to Easter.  I couldn't find the exact one I wanted, but the one I found worked great!  I attached a little quote and reminder of this lesson on the back so while they are reading the Book of Mormon they can use this as a bookmark and remember what this book is all about!  Another testament of Jesus Christ.


Here are the printables I mentioned above! So, so easy just print, cut and go!
 

Book of Mormon Quotes and Scripture Printable

No comments:

Post a Comment