Thursday, March 17, 2016

March 2016 Youth Sunday School Lesson: Living Prophets and Apostles

How can I use the words of living prophets and apostles to strengthen my faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ?
 
I recently got a new calling and I am SO excited about it!  I'm now a Visiting Teaching District Leader and a Youth Sunday School Instructor. 
 
 
For my first lesson I was so glad I got to talk about how living prophets and apostles can strengthen our faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 
 
I started with a little object lesson.  I put a little stuffed animal or you could use a figurine in a bag or box this time I used a stuffed bunny.  I go on to tell them that they may not believe me but I have a little bunny in my bag.  I ask if they believe me and what would help them believe me.  Then I asked for a volunteer, I had one girl look in and see the little stuffed bunny.  She tells the class that there is a baby bunny in the bag!  We then talk about what they think now and why its so important to have a witness.  This was the perfect introduction to the lesson.
 
After that we talked about how like the prophets of old, prophets and apostles today testify of Jesus Christ and are called to be "special witnesses" for Him.
 
Other great things we read and discussed:  "Apostle" in the Bible Dictionary, Jacob 7: 11-12,
D&C 76: 22-24, and Elder Bednar's talk "Chosen to Bear Testimony of My Name".  I was planning to cut up pieces of Elder Bednar's talk and have the girls take turns reading the last testimonies of those great prophets and apostles.  Its a great talk, if you haven't read it you should!
 
Another thing the girls LOVED doing was this marking activity from The Red Headed Hostess
 
  
To wrap up the lesson we talked about how we can make the prophets and apostles words a more important part of our lives.  I gave each girl a Conference Ensign (only a $1 at the Distribution Center) and a highlighter.  As they read I challenged them to highlight where members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve teach or testify of Jesus Christ and His Atonement.
 


 
I am so thrilled about this calling and I'm already planning for my next lesson! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment